SELENIUM ULTRA POTENT
Our Selenium Ultra Potent capsules contain the therapeutic dose of the vitally important mineral selenium. Selenium is required for the production of glutathione – the most powerful antioxidant in the body. It is responsible for neutralising toxins, protecting cells from damage or mutation, strengthening the immune system and preventing viral replication. The organic form of selenium – selenomethionine has been used to improve absorption and utilisation by the body.
The benefits of selenium include:
- Immune system regulation: Selenium acts as an antiviral agent and may assist the body in slowing down and preventing viral replication. Studies have found a connection between selenium deficiency and increased incidence of viral infections, such as HIV. Selenium is used to make selenoproteins which are involved in the activation and differentiation of immune cells. It may aid in the management of autoimmune disorders.
- Strengthening detoxification pathways: Glutathione is required by the liver and the kidneys for detoxification. Glutathione plays an important role in phase 2 liver detoxification which helps to convert toxins into water soluble compounds for excretion via sweat, urine and bowel movements. Selenium could be useful as part of a detox regime or after alcohol consumption.
- Cell protection: Selenium helps to neutralise free radicals and toxins in the body to prevent them from damaging cells. Selenium, along with glutathione, may assist in repairing damaged DNA to help prevent against cell mutation. Studies have shown that supplementing with selenium could be effective in reducing the risk of neurological diseases and tumour formation.
- Healthy thyroid function: The thyroid gland holds more selenium than any other organ in the body. It is required for the production of thyroid hormones, and the conversion of the inactive thyroid hormone (T4) into its active form (T3), to be utilised in the body. The thyroid is responsible for regulating metabolism, growth and development, body temperature and heart rate.
- Reducing inflammation: Free radicals cause oxidative stress in the body, which leads to inflammation. Selenium plays an important role in helping to neutralise these free radicals and may regulate the production of inflammatory chemicals and immune cells. Selenium can help to reduce systemic inflammation in the body.
- Cardiovascular health: Due to selenium’s involvement in reducing inflammation, neutralising free radicals and improving blood flow, it may offer protection to the cardiovascular system. Observational studies suggest a link between selenium deficiency and increased risk of cardiovascular disease.
Selenium Ultra Potent may be beneficial for those who:
- Have an autoimmune disease
- Have arthritis
- Have a neurological disease – such as Alzheimer’s
- Have a viral infection or have had one in the past
- Want to slow down the ageing process
- Want to strengthen their liver detoxification pathways
- Have a sluggish thyroid
- Have a history of stroke or cardiovascular disease
Unfortunately, it is difficult to get adequate amounts of selenium from the diet. This is due to the depletion of selenium in the soil, processing and mass production of foods and poor absorption of minerals due to intestinal inflammation. Those with chronic viral infections such as HIV, hepatitis or glandular fever have an increased requirement for selenium, and are often deficient. Research also suggests that those who consume a diet that is deficient in selenium, may have an increased risk of developing stomach, lung, skin, prostate and colon cancer.
- Adults: 1 capsule daily with a meal, or as directed by your healthcare professional.
Cautions and contraindications:
- Selenium can be toxic in high doses. A daily dose of 150mcg of selenium for adults should not be exceeded.
- Vitamin supplements should not replace a balanced diet.
- Patients should consult their healthcare practitioner if symptoms persist.
Each capsule contains:
Selenium (as Selenomethionine) 150 mcg